Arran -Sense of Scotland
The story of Arran Aromatics began before 1989. Husband and wife Janet and Ian Russell initially opened a gift shop on the Scottish island, Arran (known as Isle of Arran, the word “isle” means island in Scotland) making and selling their own provisions. They first sold mustard, made at the kitchen table from an old family recipe at the back of their cottage. The business became a success and was sold to Robertson and Baxter which in turn led the way from food to toiletries.
Arran Sense of Scotland
Whilst dealing with tourists who came to visit the island operating their shop, they realized that people were interested in locally made products. The couple then started handcrafting luxurious soaps inspired by the beautiful unspoilt natures surrounding their home on the Isle of Arran. Arran Aromatics was launched at the Royal Highland show in 1989 and the rest is history.
Visitors to the Arran have since been able to take away with them unforgettable mementos after their magical stay on the island. The soap business soon grew outside of the island with an expanded collection of bath, body, home fragrance and perfumery products. When the couple started their soap and body cream production in their cottage kitchen, known as Home Farm at the island which is where the current factory is situated, little did they know that the modest beginning would go on to become one of Scotland’s best loved brands.
Today, Arran – Sense of Scotland has a very clear purpose: to help the world connect with nature. Its becoming increasingly well understood that taking time out, slowing down and connecting with nature is known to improve both physical and mental wellbeing. When we connect with nature, we can find the balance and beauty in every day, benefiting ourselves and the impact we can have on the world around us.
As a business Arran is committed to delivering the highest quality, sustainable products, all still manufactured at its island home, the Isle of Arran. The commitment to locally made product and the community on the Isle of Arran has increased investment into all of its products:
- Arran are on track for all plastic bottles to be made from 100% recycled plastics from 2022, eliminating single use plastics from all bottles.
- Cardboard gift cartons and boxes are sourced from suppliers that work with FSC board and therefore are committed to well managed forest sustainability & recycling programs.
- Arran’s distribution centres operate off 100% renewable energy.
- Arran have been awarded Gold Partner status by TAP in recognition of these efforts (www.thinkaboutplastic-arran.co.uk)
- Arran have commenced work to become a B-Corp certified business (Certified B Corporation)
- The Arran business places large focus on sourcing natural ingredients for inclusion in all its new formulations
- ARRAN Sense of Scotland continues to be fully committed to using sustainable palm oil across its broad range of bath & body soaps.
We are proud to have been Arran’s partner in Asia since 2019 and for bringing this fantastic brand and its products to Hong Kong.
Browse our best picks and a wide selection of Gardiners products made in Scotland